Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life After Bushfires

YouAreNotAlone
Bushfire Community Ambassador

How is everyone coping, now we're going back into bushfire season?

I don't know about anyone else, but golly, I could worry myself sick with how afraid I am of this bushfire season.

I had a nightmare not too long ago where I was with friends and saw the fires in the distance. I packed my stuff up quickly, only to go outside and have a flat tyre on my car, as the fire crowned around me. Thank god it was just a dream--but it made me SUPER on edge.

I'm so hyperaware of everything potentially fire-related around me. It's exhasuting and tiring. But fingers crossed we can actually have a good New Year's Eve this year, rather than running for our lives. I feel super anxious and stressed. I think I'll flinch at every Fires Near Me app alert. To help with my anxiety though, I'm going to make sure we're prepared for fire: even if nothing happens. I'm also seeing my psychologist regularly and talking to people, making sure I don't bottle it up. And keeping my self-care as good as I can.

How is everyone going? Has it been impacting you much? How have you coped?

16 REPLIES 16

Re: How is everyone coping, now we're going back into bushfire season?

@YouAreNotAlone  I’m not in a bushfire area, so I don’t even know if my reply is worthwhile, but hearing how you are feeling , really struck a cord with me.

I just wanted to let you know I’m hearing the scaryness of the bushfire season approaching.

Im glad you have your psych, and other.

Take care.

@YouAreNotAlone  Very normal behaviour ! 

I think most of us are, feelings resurfacing and the danger getting higher. 

I don’t know what to pack in my go to bag. I’ve been putting it off, I just can’t bring myself to do it. 

Lets remember this nye will be totally different and we all deserve to enjoy it!

@YouAreNotAlone, I'm so sorry to hear of the anxiety and fear you're experiencing around a recurrence of fires as bushfire season approaches again. As @Burnt has said, this sounds like a really normal feeling given what you've been through already, and you're not the only one.

I'm also seeing that you're able to take a step back to identify and name your responses for what they are and that you've got a few plans in place to manage these. This is all great. Your awareness, insight and planning are excellent strengths you hold that will continue to help carry you through. Keep going- you've got this! 

TideisTurning 😊

@YouAreNotAlone I completely understand where you are coming from - was chatting with a friend over the weekend who was evacuated three or four times from their home during the fires and they said they were feeling very nervous, despite all the rain which has fallen in recent months leading to predictions it won't be as bad a fire season this year .... take care 

The rain is such a relief. Although we are having erosion problems- every time I hear rain I want to cry tears of happiness. 

@YouAreNotAlone 

If you have an app, my suggestion is to turn the notifications that are incoming on silent. Checking maybe every two hours? Not doing so may make your anxiety much higher. PTSD is a recovery and it gets easier in time when you deal with the thoughts that no longer have any reality. I know I make it sound simple and I know it's far from.simple. I have CPTSD myself. 

@Burnt after almost four years of drought I completely get you when you say: "every time I hear rain I want to cry tears of happiness" 

I’m so thankful for the La Niña. 

Hi everyone, I'm Daisydreamer- the new community manager

@YouAreNotAlone I saw this post and thought I'd pop in too. Like you, I have lived in bush fire prone areas all my life, and this time of year is always a bit nerve wracking. Even more so this year.

Hot windy days get me concerned, so I have been using the weather forcast to make sure I plan ahead to add some more self care and distraction in those days knowing that I may need some extra TLC. How have you been coping in those moments when things feel really stressful? Do you have people in your life that you talk to about coping with the stress around bushfire season?

One thing that I love every year is that my local fire station do a ton of community based events in the lead up to Christmas. It helps us all get to show our appreciation to the amazing people who look after my town every day, and also get to have important conversations with neighbours in my community. I look forward to the fund raiser Christmas eve to continue the awesome work our fire fighters are doing.

@Burnt @Fizz Yes, big yay for rain this year! Much needed and much appreciated 

Daisydreamer 🌼

New to the

Life After Bushfires Forum?

Chat to people

who have been through it

Register To Connect

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Life After Bushfire Resources: