Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Decluttering and home maintenance

Good work @Smc, papers can be very time consuming to sort. 

Mr Darcy threw out some old work training course manuals. 

Three jigsaws  went to an op shop and a few bits have been put aside to see if we can give them away at the weekend.

hello @Sophie1, @Former-Member, @Determined, @Smc, @Former-Member, @Former-Member, @Janiee, @Appleblossom, @greenpea, , @Adge

well from mum`s and our house  we have thrown out 2 vacuum cleaners , I cot , I Fan

@Former-Member, I had a chair full of paper and things and now are on the nice cleared table Smiley LOL

@Shaz51 Yay! I love decluttering!

'Onya @Shaz51 👍.

Love to hear of any  decluttering victories, no matter how small @greenpea

We got a section of our roof replaced this week as well as the guttering sorted (following leak onto house). It took a fair portion of our house repair $$.  

I forgot to take the stuff I had hoped to give away when we caught up with some friends. 

@Former-Member Okay Darcy when I was manic and in hospital my family through out 90% of what I owned (admittedly most of it was crap but still ....). I moved into a new place   and 18 months later moved again so I chucked out everything the washing machine, dining room table, the sofa, it felt fantastic!!! I bought a smaller washing machine and table but no sofa .... I am determined not to have to do it again so I don't buy anything that I need to lug around. I could easily live in a teepee or a 1 bedroom cabin.

Yikes @greenpea don't think I could live in a tent and I do like my sofa  😀.

Sounds like we could learn a thing or two from you about not buying unnecessary stuff or holding on to things we no longer need. 

@Former-Member 🙂

my step D1 has learnt that too @greenpea, @Former-Member

she has moved around a  far bit , settling down now as she has a partner

but on every move she would sell things and throw out things before her next move

@Sophie1

Bag of clothes to op shop = 👍

Hello All. 🙂

@Shaz51@greenpea, when someone's moving frequently, it does often make more sense to sell/pass on and refurnish at the other end. But yeah, I'd find it hard to live like that. I love having heirloom or heirloom-worthy pieces around. (I'm looking across the room at the bookcase that my sister and I had as children for all our picture books, and sitting on a ladderback chair that used to be my Grandma's. 🙂 )

We've got a fair bit of "scruffy antique"/vintage furniture here, the kind of things made to last for a century or two (or more?) so if we needed to cull out any of those pieces we'd be hoping to sell them to a good home. I do want to get rid of some of the more modern and not-as-well-made pieces. Some we'll pass on to new homes, others will probably be broken up and any useful bits salvaged. (Wonky chipboard shelves don't count as useful... if I break them in half they'll fit in our rubbish bin. 😛 )

We managed to do a decent bit of clearing up before our friends came to visit on Friday. Sadly, the other extreme of our furnishings is cardboard box storage... often unsorted or semi-sorted boxes of things that were getting in the way. A lot of the latter part of the clear up was just restacking said boxes more neatly to make space, BUT I did find a few things I was looking for in the process, and a few things which I could immediately pin as rubbish. And the restacking means we can have a better idea of what we have to sort out next.

It's nice having a bit more room to move, so we're hoping that works as a motivation to keep up the momentum. Today's task is clearing up some of the clutter in and around our carport, because a friend and a friend-of-our-friend are coming to visit, and want to look over our currently mothballed motorbike.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance