Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Any diagnosed germophobes or hoarders on this forum?

@Former-Member  I've thought of something else you could do, if you want...you could take a photo of the treddle sewing machine, then store the photo on your computer, to honour your mum still. Then maybe sell on the sewing machine?

Sorry if this is too much. 

20201204-115906_1.jpeg

@Former-Member   feel for you, have a cluster of bad summer anniversaries myself, sucks!   Betrayal is very hard, it's a death too, a loss / grief, it's a  living death that pierce's the heart bad. How could they⁉️  I wish I could take it away for you, all i can say is that -  'it' gets less, and we 'find a peace' with it eventually, even without answers. Forgiveness and 'letting go'  is a big ask. The important thing is that you / we self-care at these times, reduce our stressors and ride it out, one day at a time... Gotta be your own Bondi Life Saver,  Go Gently today especially 💐

🙏💙💚💛🧡💓💜🙏

Hi @NatureLover - that's a good tip, that "the stuff I bring home just creats problems for me" Another friend once reminded me "we have to 'manage' our things" I worry about germs a bit too, have to wash, clean everything, eliminate smells, make it 'mine' But yes, it's extra work I don't need. Why do I do it! Yesterday I stupidly walked into Vinnie's - came out with two doona Cover sets - one to turn into curtains in my bedroom, the other to make a bright coloured table cloth, napkins and curtain frill for the kitchen, for Christmas, for when my boy comes home... ... there it is - more work that I may never get round to... mountains of projects to do here, Im shamefully undisciplined, and forget things, especially where I it stuff. I did resell a recliner that didn't suit (got my money back through Gumtree) so that took away some of the pain, guess I could do the same for the sewing machine ☹️ Just so stupid! And kills my back all this heavy stuff. Thanks NL💚

I HAVE AN IDEA THAT HOARDING IS AN ATTEMPT TO:
- FILL THE EMPTINESS
- HAVE A PURPOSE
- SOMETHING 2Do
- HUMAN COMPANY
- FEEL 'A WIN' (A BARGAIN)
- AVOID FURTHER LOSS

@Former-Member , thank you for your message and understanding. Not many people understand that kind of hurt and it really is the worst. Hoping tonight was a better night for you. 

@NatureLover , think of you often my friend. 

@Former-Member wrote:
Hi @NatureLover - that's a good tip, that "the stuff I bring home just creats problems for me" 

@Former-Member  I'm glad what my psychologist said was useful. 

@Former-Member wrote:
I worry about germs a bit too, have to wash, clean everything, eliminate smells, make it 'mine' 

I do /did this too! 

@Former-Member wrote:
I did resell a recliner that didn't suit (got my money back through Gumtree) so that took away some of the pain

Well done!

Yes, a lot of stuff I used to collect needed work, and it piled up and I never got it done. Some of the older stuff I've got now needs work too, and I've thrown out quite a bit of that, but there's still more, such as old favourite clothes that need mending. My aim is to throw out everything that needs work - I just don't have the energy these days to work on things to make them useful. 

Good luck, @Former-Member ... 🙂

@Former-Member wrote:
I HAVE AN IDEA THAT HOARDING IS AN ATTEMPT TO:
- FILL THE EMPTINESS
- HAVE A PURPOSE
- SOMETHING 2Do
- HUMAN COMPANY
- FEEL 'A WIN' (A BARGAIN)
- AVOID FURTHER LOSS

I would agree with all these, except the human company one... For me hoarding represented security, after an abusive childhood. Now that I've had quite a bit of healing, I don't need the security quite as much as before, which has helped slightly in getting rid of things. But I still have great difficulty getting rid of my older things. 

For you, does the human company come with visiting the shops, buying the articles or doing the deal on Gumtree?

@Former-Member 

@Former-Member wrote:

@NatureLover , think of you often my friend. 

Thank you, @Former-Member ...I think of you too, and miss you. Hoping for strength for you for your bad anniversaries... 💛

@Emelia8  I see you on the support button...thinking of you and hoping you're managing with all your burdens. 💚

Hi @Maggie , thinking of you and hoping your CG duties are not too overwhelming. I like thinking that your garden and the wild birds are bringing you joy. I see there's quite a bit of difference in temperature between Devonport and Hobart, but the highest temp of the two for today is 23, so that sounds like it should be OK for you? Sending lots of  💜.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance