Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

peace
Senior Contributor

Being Diasabled by Anxiety

Hi Sane peer's,

I get anxiety that is extremely disabling, a living torture that last for 3-4 days at a time. It could be PTSD. The thing is I am reaching out to hear from others who have this similar experience. I have not met or even heard of anyone and neither have 3 of the professionals I see regularly. I want to learn about what's happening to me and to learn how I can make it easier for myself. I am on a fist load of meds, originally to stop these attacks. I'm still getting them and now it seems to be because I have a mood disorder or something, my phyc is not sure. I am so sick of these energy draining and mind numbing pills. 

I hope there is someone out there who understands. 

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Being Diasabled by Anxiety

Hi @peace 

I don't think I have met you before so it is nice so meet you.

I struggle with anxiety too amongst other things. My anxiety does not last 3-4 days but it can be disabling to me.  It drains me of all my energy and makes it hard to function and do anything else. I also take a lot of meds and they are mind numbing to me too. Do they help, I don't know but I keep taking them.

I hope other members come forward with their own experiences.

Please take care of yourself 💕💕💕

Snowie

Hi @peace  i can relate to the anxiety a little, I've had some crippling anxiety recently, not for the extent that you have though. I am back on medication after being free of it for 10 or so years. I absolutely hate the way it makes me feel, zero energy and as you said mind numbing. It really is hard to function on it... but also without it. Not sure what is worse??? 

Hi peace, I have a bit of anxiety, but not as severe as you describe. But I have BPD and on meds for that, yes they are mind numbing and it's very frustrating not being able to think clearly. Sometimes I have panic attacks, but very occasionally. Also it's hard to get a doctor who really helps. This forum is good to reach out to as we do understand. Mental health issues are debilitating definitely. 
Sending love and encouragement, roses 🌹 

Thank you for your reply.
Sorry you had to go back on meds. Some of them are huge. Yuk!

Rose thank you so much for your reply and support. Yeah Dr's don't get it, and quite frankly I don't feel safe or respected by them any more. Blessings to you Rose

Hi @peace 

It's nice to meet you. I'm new to the forum, but found your post. I too struggle with severe anxiety. I also have bipolar & complex ptsd. I can be extremely wired & anxious for weeks on end, but thankfully I've never had an actual attack last for 3-4 days. I really feel for you in that regard.

I have IBS too which is exacerbated by the anxiety and I've had "accidents". It got so bad a few years back that I wouldn't leave the house, because of the shame and embarrassment involved, which made the anxiety worse. As it is, I still won't eat till I have done my daily tasks in case the anxiety occurs while I'm out. It's such a vicious circle. 

Thankfully I've found a great tdoc & pdoc and I'm on meds which help. The meds have their own issues like zombie brain, but it's better than dealing with the anxiety constantly.

Have you tried meditation? I find mindfulness meditation really helps slow my brain & fear down. I also exercise daily. I've found swimming to be a really good way again to slow down my panicked brain as I have to concentrate on breathing in the water and it keeps me focused in the moment. 
I really hope you can find some answers and safe ways to cope better with it soon.

Big hugs. 🐰❤️

@bipolarbunny @peace @roses @Bow @Snowie 

I have been experienced anxiety lately so was looking for anxiety thread.

I have started a new job . It is a high stress job and i have started to feel central anxiety and headaches some days. I didn't expect this and hope it will pass after im more comfortable in the job. 

I like the job but not the associated feelings and sensations.

My plan is to do more yoga nidra meditation, walk and run more more and maybe get back to yoga but im not doing any of this yet.

Thanks again Bipolar bunny. swimming is a great relaxer.

Maybe my plan should be to go pool but with autumn here and winter coming...

Lots of excuses so I have to make a smart goal for the weekend and commit. 

a 30 min walk around the river and a trip to the local pool.

but first step put waking shoes near the  front door and pack the swimming bag !

Feeling for you Rivergal. I remember being in a job that was so stressful and living every day with a knot of nervous tension in the middle of my forehead and not sleeping because of it and not being able to think because of it. Yes anxiety is  disabling . Be kind to yourself. If you can go for a walk and go for a swim that would be good. Putting your walking shoes at the front door is also a good idea, Do whatever you feel able to do to unwind and relax.  
Take one day at a time. 
Will keep you in my prayers, stay safe, roses 🌹 

Thank you @roses 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance