Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Word for the Day - Comfort or Play

For plant buffs - birthroot and birthwort - trilliums are a woodland plant and grow in cool to temperate climates. Aristolochia grow in warmer climates and is an environmental weed in some parts of Australia.
Birthroot (Trillium sp.)Birthroot (Trillium sp.)Birthwort (aristolochia sp)Birthwort (aristolochia sp)

Along with other plant species, trillium was used in apothecary.

how-shop-herbal-supplements.jpg

A bit about the origin of birth stones.

The idea of birthstones - a gemstone assigned to each month of the year - is thought to be an ancient one, and scholars trace it back to the Breastplate of Aaron that was described in the book of Exodus in the Bible. The Breastplate was a religious garment set with twelve gemstones that represented the twelve tribes of Israel. The gems were set in four rows of three: Sardius, topaz and carbuncle; emerald, sapphire and diamond; ligure, agate and amethyst; and beryl, onyx and jasper.
So how did we get from gemstones representing the twelve tribes of Israel to birthstones? The writings of Flavius Josephus (1st century AD) and St. Jerome (5th century AD) made the connection between the 12 stones in the Breastplate and the 12 signs of the zodiac. The idea was proposed that each of the gemstones had special powers associated with the corresponding astrological sign, and that wearing these stones at the right time would have therapeutic or talismanic benefits.
This was still not quite the same idea as our modern concept of the birthstone. Based on this astrological model, one ought to own a collection of the 12 different gemstones assigned to the signs of the zodiac and wear the appropriate gem during the ascendancy of the corresponding sign. This is more like the Vedic astrological tradition of India, which assigns 9 different gemstones to 9 planets and prescribes the wearing of particular gems according to a person's state of health and the challenges that they face in life.
The idea of each person always wearing a gemstone corresponding to the month of their birth is a distinctly modern idea that scholars trace to 18th century Poland, with the arrival of Jewish gem traders to the region. Yet the modern list of birthstones was not defined until 1912, by the National Association of Jewelers (Jewelers of America) in the USA.
The modern birthstone list has been unchanged since 1912. Only recently have we seen two attempts to change it, both curiously associated with the gemstone tanzanite. In 2002 the American Gem Trade Association (AGTA) announced that they had added tanzanite as a birthstone for December, though December already had two birthstones (turquoise and zircon). The Jewelers of America went along with the idea and provided this sound bite for the AGTA press releases: "JA sees the addition of tanzanite for December as a way to build business. Any step that helps retailers sell more jewelry is a good one." The world had clearly come a long way from the purported magical powers of astrological gemstones.

Thanks @Maggie ..... that’s awesome ❣️

Tourmalines are @outlander’s birthstone @Owlunar ..... mine are the ones you put up ..... and yeah, I didn’t know there were three, but I like them all ❣️

Birthmark

education-teaching-birthmark-asia-middle_east-geographic-geographers-jmp070205_low.jpg

Thanks for this info @Maggie

It's fascinating - I am always interested in that and the changing mythology around symbols and stories - I find it intriguing

And the idea of the impact of commercial ideas on gems - that makes perfect sense - it makes it hard to really sort out the truth but you have done this really well - thank you

Here's an idea about commerce changing religious practice - the forbidding of eating meat on Fridays goes back to the time when the Roman Catholic Church wanted to give the fishing trade a bit of help - there is no truth that this was anything to do with religion - history is full of strange little stories like that

Thanks again for your imput

Dec

Birthflowers are based on northern hemisphere flowering - so they are usually not in flower down under at the time of our birthdays.

Wow it is interesting where this has lead us.

I was thinking of messy squishy birthing, but you brought up minerals. My nerdy side loves it.

Smiley Happy

Bloodstone - Heliotrope - MarchBloodstone - Heliotrope - MarchAquamarine - MarchAquamarine - MarchI also thought of birth as the begining of anything ... not just bubs and new ideas.

Smiley HappyHeart

I don't really know my birthstone, though I seem to remember Ruby has some association with my birth. Red was my favourite colour as a child. On my birthday I sometimes say happy birthday to my mother too, as she was the one giving birth to me. Birthing a child is something I have never done. My creative life seems to replace to some extent the absence of that primal creation in my life. In a way, I have birthed creative life very many times over about forty years. So in a metaphoric sense, I kind have a multitude of children that I send out into the world to live apart and independent of me when they are ready. As with childbirth, the process of bringing a creative piece to completion can sometimes involve a lot of pain and struggle (at times I've had years of it with my creativity). This is on the emotional and mental level, which is obviously not the same as the physical pain of childbirth, but still the metaphor still seems to apply in some way. Birth is something we all go through, so whether we have children or not, it is a common experience to all humanity, no matter what gender. I've also noticed that some things in life seem to come in cycles of nine months for me. That's my free-associative rave on the word 'birth' for today!

thanks for sharing @Maggie thats really interesting

@Mazarita you can find your birthstone and birth flower by typing in your birth month followed by ston/flower ie' October birthstone' thats how i found mine.
Rubies are lovely. my nan use to love the red gemstones though im not sure if they were rubies
plus i loved reading your 'rave.

@Former-Member love the birthmark meme!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance