Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

oceangirl
Senior Contributor

Things make us feel uncomfortable including triggers

I'm someone that has always struggled to talk about my triggers and I thought we could start a discussion about this.  Talking about things that bother us (makes us feel uncomfortable)- could be stepping stone to more insight and understanding and caring relationships. 

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Things make us feel uncomfortable including triggers

Something that has always stressed me out has been being forced to listen to talkie radio while in the car, I don't know why. When I had my psychosis, I heard voices, so I guess it's fitting that I've always been freaked out by the disembodied voices on the radio.

Hi @oceangirl thanks for starting this discussion Smiley Happy

@Gwynn you're not alone there... I can't stand listening to talking radio. It makes me really anxious and uncomfortable. I also experience psychosis, so maybe others also have the same experience?

Rosie93

What a great thread, thank you, @oceangirl ...

One of my triggers is talking about accidents or injuries - I have a completely terrified phobia about them. It's almost PTSD, as I've had too many accidents and injuries in my life. I also can't cope with talking about physical illnesses like gastro or anything that's catching - that's due to my germophobia. 

I thought I'd mention them as most people wouldn't even think of them as phobias or triggers.

I'm still healing from a break-up, so a lot of things make me upset that really shouldn't. Seeing couples out and about is really difficult for me. Being attracted to people is really painful.

Beyond that, I get upset when people talk about how kind and sweet people are when they haven't known them for very long, including myself. Like I have spoken to people online, and they have said "from what I've seen, you're funny, intelligent, caring... who wouldn't want to be around someone like that?" Apparently a lot of people.

My triggers are little more like yours @Former-Member 

We are so individual, it will all depend on our experience.  It is a great thread @oceangirl to unpack the issues of triggers, rather than presume what one is.  A lot of people watch action and horror and get excited rather than triggered watching that stuff .... I believe deepest healing comes to understanding our own lives and then making better informed choices.

I didn't know until recently what my triggers were and listening to the radio or watching TV really triggered my psychosis too. 

@Former-Member 

I totally understand where you are coming from I to feel the same, if that was the case if I was really funny and intelligent why do I not have any friends? 

my biggest trigger is people who gossip to me about other people it makes me think through my psychosis that their actually directing that at me. 

@Rosie93 

Yes when I'm in a full blown psychosis I can't watch tv or listen to the radio I can't even stand talking to other people as I feel everything is directed at me, so I isolate myself from everyone 

@oceangirl  great thread :). For me some are shopping centres, movie theatres, being amongst lots of people. Even writing this is making me feel anxious. Noise is bad for me. One of the reasons why I am feeling like I need to retreat into the country to save my sanity.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance