Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Trauma and Recovery// Blue Knot Foundation // Tues 23rd February 2021, 8:00-9:00PM AEDT

Hi @cinaL, by posting here, you are in 🙂 To join the conversation you click on the reply button below.

It also helps to refresh the page every few minutes to keep up to date with new posts

Re: Topic Tuesday // Trauma and Recovery// Blue Knot Foundation // Tues 23rd February 2021, 8:00-9:00PM AEDT

You have mentioned a really important point here @Cathyblueknot, that the focus is really on how experiences of trauma that past may be are impacting the present.

This quote really stands out to me:

It is about understanding ourselves and that these are normal responses to abnormal events i.e. trauma” Heart

@Cathyblueknot, you mentioned fight, flight and freeze responses, and strong emotions that can arise when there is a trigger.

Question 2: Trauma can come with a wide range of feelings; anger, abandonment, fear, rejection, frustration, sadness. How do we get through the emotions associated with trauma?

I invite anyone following along to share their thoughts as well about coping with strong emotions.

Question 2: Trauma can come with a wide range of feelings; anger, abandonment, fear, rejection, frustration, sadness. How do we get through the emotions associated with trauma?

Many people with trauma experiences struggle to manage their strong and sudden emotions.

Anger, fear, sadness and frustration are common. It can be hard to manage or ‘regulate’ these feelings. People traumatised as a child often do not have the chance to learn how to manage or express strong emotions. This can be learnt through co-regulation with another person, a person who creates a sense of safety and connection, and supports you to ground yourself, through breathing and other techniques which help you self-soothe and settle your nervous system, which after trauma can stay on high alert.

Many people who have experienced trauma feel that people and the world are not safe because that has been their experience. Many are isolated and withdrawn but just as we are harmed in relationships in which we are hurt we can also heal in relationships of care, support and nurture. It is about learning to trust and connecting with people, and often initially one person – friend, family or professional with whom you feel safe. This can help to change your internal beliefs that the world is dangerous and support a healing journey.

Peer support provides a unique opportunity to connect with a person who has their own lived experience and who can walk alongside you on your journey helping you to make sense of what you are feeling and support you to find a path to recovery.

https://www.blueknot.org.au/Survivor/support

It can be a long and difficult process, learning to trust in other people and find positive and respectful relationships- I think it’s so important to not give up on that, no matter how many setbacks there are. I firmly believe there is hope for healing for all.

@BlueBay, over here my sister

@Adge @Last-Lament we'll be having a question soon on trauma and shortcomings of the mental health care system, stay tuned Heart

@Last-Lament  oh my gosh me too. But I feel bad expecting them to know all those things. I do t know if that's just a shame thing. I've been fired from therapy more ones than I can count because I freeze and can't speak. 

When I was younger, I used to be able to manage my fears by more or less pushing through, using all the techniques we're taught, and for a time,t hey worked. I guess to a degree they still work, because I'm still around, doing small things. BUT gradually I have become a hermit, hiding away rather than involving myself in anything because there's only ever hurt that comes from it. Whatever tiny good there might be is too small to overcme the weight of the hurts. 

I used to believe I would become closer to well, now, at this age, I can't see it as being possible. There is only surviving.

all of those 'feelings' can be so confusing and mixed up from day to day for me. i don't feel as though that is understood very well. and i can have parts of me that feel different things at the same time and feel as though im constantly struggling to know what the real thing is that im feeling versus what i should be feeling or what a 'normal' person should be feeling to just about anything. never being sure if im 'over reacting' to a trigger or too much stress or if 'anyone' would be finding it hard to deal with some of the things i work with. sometimes i feel trauma just leads to mass overwhelming exhausting confusion....

When I disclosed my childhood sexual use abuse to my mum I got the worst verbal attack. She yelled at me. To this day there has been no validation or discussion. 
I've never felt so rejected abandoned and at fault 

@Daisydreamer @Cathyblueknot 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance