Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Special Events

Daisydreamer
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Understanding Trauma and Supporting Loved Ones// Blue Knot Foundation // Tues 23rd February 2021, 7:00-8:00PM AEDT

Hi there wonderful friends, families and carers πŸ’œ

This month we are excited to welcome the President of the Blue Knot Foundation, Cathy Kezelman, as our special guest for Topic Tuesday Live Chat Event on the topic of Trauma. Blue Knot are national leaders in supporting and empowering people who are recovering and healing after complex trauma.  

Understanding Trauma and Supporting Loved ones.png

Topic Tuesday will look a bit different this month as we are hosting two discussions back-to-back on the forums with the Blue Knot Foundation.

How will it work?

πŸ”Ή From 7:00-8:00pm AEDT, we will start the discussion here in the Friends, Family and Carers forum talking on the topic of Understanding Trauma and Supporting Loved Ones.

πŸ”Ή  
From 8:00-9:00pm AEDT the conversation will continue in the Lived Experience Forum talking about Trauma and Recovery (use this link to join the discussion!).

Understanding Trauma

On the SANE forums, there are many stories about the impact of trauma on survivors, friends and families. This discussion will focus on the experience of being a friend, family member or carer for those experiencing trauma. We will cover topics such as understanding what trauma is, how it impacts survivors, and what each of us can do to support those around us (and ourselves!).

Earlier this month we put out a call for questions on the topic of trauma contributing to the planning of this event. We want to extend a huge thank you to the many members who posted questions for this live event-  we have done our best to combine key themes and questions! πŸ’™

Please join us here on Tuesday the 23rd of February 2021 from 7:00pm-8:00pm AEDT to follow this conversation. 

Want to receive a reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

I'm new here - what is this?

The event runs from 7:00 - 8.00pm AEDT on the 23rd of February, and then continues in the Lived Experience Forum from 8:00 - 9:00pm AEDT. Each month we focus on a different topic with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator, and joined by a Peer Support Worker. 

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Our text-based event takes place right here! As it is text-based, no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the newest comments (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye out for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post. We recommend using a desktop computer or laptop for the event for overall ease of use Smiley Very Happy.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will post questions for the guest to answer, and you can provide your answer too. Usually the questions will ask for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the event, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong, and everyone is welcome to get involved! 

What time does this event start in my timezone?

• AEDT - 7:00pm
  • AEST - 6:00pm
  • ACDT - 6:30pm
  • ACST - 5:30pm
  • WST - 4:00pm

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

Topic Tuesday discussions can cover some heavy topics. If you are feeling distress during this live discussion, there are support options available to you. You can start a new discussion on the forums and talk to other members, contact the SANE Help Centre on 1800 18 7263, or find crisis support options here.

105 REPLIES 105

Re: Topic Tuesday // Understanding Trauma and Supporting Loved Ones// Blue Knot Foundation // Tues 23rd February 2021, 7:00-8:00PM AEDT

Tagging some members who might be interested in this discussion next Tuesday and have either posted or liked the question brainstorm thread for this live event πŸ’œ@TideisTurning @greenpea @Powderfinger @destructive @Corny @TheVorticon @chibam @NatureLover @Gwynn @Former-Member @Zoe7 @Former-Member @BlueBay @Emelia8 @Schitzo @frog @Bow @Former-Member @Scully @BPDSurvivor @Shaz51 

Again, you are welcome to support either of these posts to be tagged before the event starts at 7:00pm AEDT on the 23rd of February😊

Re: Topic Tuesday // Understanding Trauma and Supporting Loved Ones// Blue Knot Foundation // Tues 23rd February 2021, 7:00-8:00PM AEDT

Hello SANE Community and to all those who are reading along tonight!  πŸ‘‹

This Topic Tuesday Live Event will be starting in 30 minutes. Tagging all members who supported this post or posted a question
 @Smith1 @Hycat27 @Adge @Beanpole @Lillibet @DaisyMay @Emelia8 @chibam @Shaz51 @Claude @Longingtobelong @Smores @happyboy @Snowie @Former-Member @Bow @Schitzo @frog @BPDSurvivor @Former-Member @Rosie93 @TideisTurning @greenpea @Powderfinger @destructive @Corny @TheVorticon @NatureLover @Former-Member @Zoe7 @BlueBay @Gwynn @Scully 

Tonight we are joined by the amazing Cathy Kezelman @Cathyblueknot, the President of the Blue Knot Foundation, who is answering some of the Community's questions about Trauma. We have packed lots of questions into this live event, and the discussion may move quickly!

Here's a message from Cathy and a little bit about the expertise that she will bring to this discussion tonight:
"I’d like to thank you for the invitation to join your community tonight. My name’s Cathy Kezelman and I’m President of Blue Knot Foundation. We’re a national organization that works to empower people to recover from what we call complex trauma. Complex trauma is repeated usually interpersonal trauma (between people) such as violence, abuse, neglect or exploitation that occurs as a child, young person or adult or any different ages."Blue Knot Foundation Logo.jpg

We are also joined tonight by @Former-Member, one of our Peer Support Workers here on the forums! You will see @Former-Member  offering support to members posting to this event, answering some of the questions themselves.

Join us at 7pm AEDT when we kick off this live event here in the Friends Family and Carers Forum! See you soon😊

____________________________________________________________________________________

New to the forums or want to get involved in this discussion? You can sign up to the SANE forums and join in this conversation by replying to the posts below. If you get stuck, you can tag myself or @girasole for help.

A quick note for those who are reading along, to keep up with the conversation, make sure to continue to refresh the page to see new posts and comments. The refresh button will look something like this:Where is the refresh button? - Quora

This Topic Tuesday will discuss complex trauma, and other themes that may be triggering. If you are feeling distress during this live discussion, there are support options available to you. You can contact the SANE Help Centre on 1800 18 7263, or find crisis support options here.

thanks @Daisydreamer Heart

it will be 6 pm here @Daisydreamer , @Former-Member 

It’s almost time! πŸŽ‰

Hi everyone, my name is Daisydreamer, one of the Community Managers here at SANE, and I would like to extend a warm welcome to everyone joining in the discussion tonight and reading along 🌼

Please join me in welcoming @Cathyblueknot to the forums as our special guest! And to @Former-Member who will be around to join in the conversation and support each of our members contributing to the discussion tonight.

As we get started on the first question, we would like to invite all those following along to introduce yourself

Yes, that's correct @Shaz51 πŸ™‚

Hi everyone am looking forward to tonights talk πŸ˜„

Thanks @Daisydreamer
It’s my little ones bath/dinner time so will see if I can follow along or read later

Cathy, I will start with our first question for you. This question is a broad one, to help us get a better understanding of trauma from your experience working with people who have experienced trauma.

Question 1: What is trauma and how would you define it?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance