Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Needshelp
New Contributor

Depression and marriage issues

Hello, This is my first post on any forum about my problems. I'm wanting to talk with people who can give me some insight on where I go seeking help. I have been married previously, had kids, got divorced, had another relationship that I ended, the got married again. This has been over a 30 odd year period. I'm experiencing the same issues in our current marriage. We have been married for nearly 10 years. During this time, I have behaviours that have escalated. My wife, has subtly tried to point this out to my, but I didn't take any notice. These behaviours have worn her patience to the limit and now we are in a crisis. I would unintentionally embarrass my wife in public by looking at other women, trying to be funny and make conversations that were unnecessary with people who were trying to get their job done, boasted about my life experiences to the point that no one could have done as much as me. The last straw was her catching me watching online p*rnography. I have since stopped. We had not been intimate for quite some time. I would run my hands over her at night and feel her up to the point she would pull away and go to sleep. I have portrayed to her the image that all was well in our marriage and she honestly thought that we were happy. I made a deal out of having sex back in our life and then couldn't remain interested enough to satisfy her. Much of my sexual experience has been literally wham bam done. I finally admitted to myself that I have problems and have started seeing a councillor. I have had 4 sessions with this person and I don't feel like I'm making progress. My wife and I do talk about the sessions and she doesn't agree with what the councillor is telling me. I'm trying to be as honest as I can with them. I have spoken about the intimacy issues, the p*rnography, my ego, my need to please and so on. I had never intended to upset her so much and was oblivious to most of my behaviours. Her last partner was very bad to her and lied, cheated and embarrassed her.

I didn't have a good childhood, with domestic violence and heavy drinking, lack of male role model and mother's love. Her love and time was taken up mostly by a sick sibling. So my other sister and myself were left to our own devices. I'm the oldest and missed out on the most. I don't want to ramble on and on. Are these behaviours just in my head or can I really do something about them? I'm trying very hard to address my issues for the betterment of us both.

Thanks for reading.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Depression and marriage issues

Hey @Needshelp, thank you for sharing your experiences with the community on the Forums!

It sounds like you have been dealing with a lot in your relationships over the years. You are demonstrating your resilience and strength in reaching out to your peers. 

There are a few ways to access services that can support you with your relationships and behaviours. Please see a list below:

There are also some other places on the Forums you can connect with others who might share similar experiences: Looking for a space to connect with others? Find a... - SANE Forums

Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

Take care

RiverSeal 

Hey @Needshelp - That all sounds like a difficult situation that you've been through from your childhood to adulthood and now with your relationship. I want to commend you for seeking help and being open to treatment. What aspect does your wife not agree with?

Hi @Needshelp 

You certainly have a lot going on in that life of yours, but on the plus side you seem to have great self awareness of your actions and the impact they are having on your wife.  With that self awareness and realisation, do you however acknowledge your actions or potential actions and the impact they are having.   Seeking help and getting help will go a long way in addressing your issues, am wondering would your wife attend some of your sessions so she can see for herself the thought process behind what your counsellor is telling you.  She would get the full picture.  Hope things work out for ye as I feel that you are really trying to address things 🙂

Hi @Needshelp 

Just wondering how you are doing today, haven't heard from you, so thought I'd check in to see how you were doing.  🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance