Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

AdultsiblingBPD
New Contributor

adult sibling with undiagnosed BPD

Hi,

I'm really struggling with my 44 year old sister who has what I suspect is BPD. Everything I have read online and in forums leads to this diagnosis. She has suffered depression for years, and anxiety. She feels she is the victim and that lots of bad things have happened to her that are out of her control. She lies, is narcarsistic and talks about suicide regularly. She has been on a series of medication for years and is always in and out of therapy. The worst thing is that she still lives with my parents who are in their 70s. They cook and clean for her as she is 'too sick' to do anything. They give her free rent. But then she regularly abuses them emotionally. SHe has no friends left. Just our parents. I feel like I've not only lost a sister but also my parents as they are all consumed with her. I'm worried about what will happen when my parents aren't around anymore. They talk about buying her a house to set her up but it won't be enough as she doesn't cook or clean or work. My parents should be enjoying their retirement by now, not looking after an adult who is more capable than she lets on. She has them wrapped around her little finger and they are scared to leave her alone for too long so it's hard for them to go away.

My parents get very defensive when I speak negatively of her and ask 'how would I like it if that was my child?'. I really don't know how to answer that but I can't see my kids ending up like her. She needs some tough love but they constantly enable her behaviour. I made a decision to take a break from her a few months ago but I still hear about her all the time and my parents constantly give me the guilts for not seeing her. She is so toxic and bad for my own mental health but that doesn't seem to be as important as supporting my sister.

I'm at my wits end and can't even visit my parents anymore as she lives there. 

There's more to the story but that's the jist of it.

Anyone else dealing with an older adult in this way?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: adult sibling with undiagnosed BPD

Hey @AdultsiblingBPD, it sounds like you've been going through so much Heart I hope you'll find lots of support here 💐

Tagging some others who might be able to provide some helpful perspectives @BPDSurvivor @Judi9877 

Re: adult sibling with undiagnosed BPD

Sorry to hear of your situation and yes it sounds like classic bpd.

I have a 22yo daughter who demonstrates all the same behaviours you describe. And as her mum and only one left who bothers with her, let me tell you it is exhausting and unrelenting and you worry constantly because of things they have done in the past. Don't feel bad about having some time out. And try not to judge M & D too hardly. Given the choice they'd rather not have a daughter with bpd. My experience tells me tough love does not work with bpd sufferers. They already feel unloved and unworthy. Have you tried some family counselling to help you all communicate? That's my next move. Best of luck, it's an asshole of a personality disorder for all involved.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance