Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Mlw
New Contributor

Complex ptsd

Hi, I'm new here. ( not new to mental health)

• My issues have been unresolved for many years. It's only the last 3 years that the intensity hit me and I began seeking help. I struggle to not fall back to old havbits. I struggle when I become " stuck" I find it hard to talk because the way my body reacts. I hate being given a label. I have done theropy but nothing makes it go away. My question is how do you except this new way of life called recovery, and keep positive? 
  • How do you move forward when your stuck 
  • How do you find hope,  purpose, direction when your so lost.
  • Sorry if I triggered anyone, it was never my interest.  
  • Thanks for any help or advice. 
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Complex ptsd

Those are really tough questions. All I can say is that the voices aren't real, if that is what you are struggling with.

"Slowly" is my answer to all 3 questions

It's a marathon, not a sprint

It takes years

Hey @Mlw ,

Do you have any supports to work through some of what you are experiencing? e.g. professional or informal supports?

I hear how being 'stuck' can really bring on that feeling of despair. It's certainly a place many have found themselves in the past.

Do you have things you enjoy doing?

I've been engaged with several professionals over the last 3 yrs. 

My phycoligist is amazing and has help me process the events. 

I just struggle with the stuck, recovery side of it. Becoming overwhelmed,  set backs,

I like craft, I make jewlery,and do alot with beads, 

I also do card marking.

But at the moment I just look at my supplies and I have no interest or motivation. 

Thank you for the context @Mlw .

It helps to know that you have an amazing psychologist whom you can reach out to. 

I'm sure many can relate to that feeling of having very little motivation to do things.

Things that have helped me:

1) set small achievable goals i.e. break up larger goals. If getting out of bed is an achievement, then go for it.

2) reward myself when I achieve something

3) self-talk to help me get through the more challenging tasks

4) get someone else involved so I have accountability. e.g. when things were really hard for me and I struggled to get out of the house, I made my psych, dr and other appointments on the morning of each day so I HAD to get out of the house everyday. 

5) connect with like minded people so I wouldn't feel alone in what I was going through.

These are a few things that helped me.

Not sure if you find any helpful.

tyme

I have also recently been diagnosed with Complex PTSD and burnout but have suffered anxiety from an early age along with multiple episodes of depression.

I have experienced that 'stuck' feeling when recovering from bouts of depression and have it again now. 

If I was to explain this state, I would say it's 'stuck' between mentally very unwell and mentally coping well and living life 'normally' again.

For me currently, it's the fatigue, lack of focus, concentration and energy, plus lack of motivation, interest and joy fighting with the will to get on and do things things to help my recovery and to get on with life.

Everyone's experience is different but what helps me the most is the knowledge that it will get better (because it always has in the past!) along with going for morning walks which boost my energy a little even if it is temporary.

I also try to avoid anything negative i.e. The News and only watch or read positive stories or funny stuff.

Hi

I get severe anxiety. I like the idea of not listening to anything negative.

Hi @Mlw 

How are you doing today.  I know how you feel when you mentioned 'stuck', I have gone 3-4 days without eating when I get 'stuck'.  The simple matter of going up the road and buying food sometimes puts me in a stuck phase.  It defies belief I know.  But in replying to your story, I guess what I have learned is to give myself some little goals to achieve everyday, they mightn't be much, but at least I have done that.  Talking about your concerns to someone you really trust has worked well for me, when I explained how I felt, how I really felt, my friends had no idead what had been going on in that head of mine.

But overall be kind to yourself and be patient with yourself.  You'll get there

Asgard

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance