Forums

Re: Seeking opinions and experiences of mindfulness

@Sahara, @Phoenix_Rising, @Appleblossom, @Former-Member, @Former-Member 

when I am watering the garden , i find it soo relaxing -- don`t know wheather it is the running water but i don`t anything around me

I have heard a few things like that about running water. @Shaz51

Another is that helps toddlers know to go to the toilet.

For me, running water raises anxiety.  

I have been off for wasting it and had restricted access to it.  I am careful with showers and fresh water and recycle grey water.

One of the most healing things for me has been "feeling" normal carrying around a water bottle in last 15 years, even though some ladies thought it was not lady-like.

It takes all sorts to make a world.

running water raises anxiety.  -- ohh i am sorry @Appleblossom 

I love sitting next to a creek or a river relaxing without the marsh flies and mozzies of course

Hey @Shaz51

lol  yeah ... march flies and mozzies raise anxiety too.

Good to see YOU though.

Heart

great to see you my friend @Appleblossom HeartHeart your messages have helped me soo much over the past 2 years Heart

I haven't really read anyone else's replies, so I'm sorry if this is redundant. 

What does the term "mindfulness" mean to you?

Being absorbed and mentally present with the activity you're currently engaged in, and not thinking about other stuff.

Have you had any positive or negative experiences with mindfulness?

Positives:

• I tried some Smiling Mind mindfulness meditations and they were ok. Typically would fall asleep during them if laying down.
  • While riding my bike, I sometimes notice that I'm thinking about other stuff rather than about things that need to be thought about while sharing the road with cars and trucks. So it's good practice to bring my attention back to riding and is hopefully making things a bit safer.
  • If I'm out walking and feeling anxious for no reason, I usually try listing things I can see, feel, hear, smell, taste. It doesn't really make the anxiety better or worse, but it passes about 30 seconds worth of time.

Negatives:

• Whenever someone suggests "have you tried mindfulness" or similar, it usually feels intensely accusitory and dismissive to me. Like they're accusing me of having tried absolutely nothing in response to whatever problem I'm having, of mindlessly flailing around like a single celled organism without a brain, consciousness or filter.

@Phoenix_Rising
To me Mindfulness means focusing on the here and now. Now thinking about the past or worrying about the future.
When I sit outside and I notice the sounds of the birds singing - it is easy to be Mindful.
But when my brain is already going from one thing to the next and to the next - I find it really hard then to get into a Mindful state. That then makes things worse. Negative self talk that I just can't do it. All the labels I give myself. So I end up worse. The opposite of Mindful.
It used to be easier for me, late last year. After a big melt down in my mental health this year, I find it a lot harder to focus.
I tried joining in with a Mindfulness group. I only went twice. It was too much of a struggle.

Good morning everybody,
Super big thank you for your responses.

@Sahara it sounds like you have a very solid understanding of the concept of mindfulness. I especially like your example of putting the bin out. That is such a great example of what it means to be mindful. I super wish mental health professionals would talk more about examples like this when trying to explain to people what it means to be mindful.

Do you have any particular favourite guided meditations that you've found online? Maybe I could include them in our exploration of mindfulness on the DBT thread???
@Shaz51 I also super like your example of watering the garden. I find that a super calming activity too. Actually, I find doing anything in the garden super calming. One of the things I like to do is watch bees or ants. I can do that for hours.

@Appleblossom that is interesting that running water raises your anxiety. I find pretty much anything to do with water super calming.

@TheVorticon your post could never be redundant because I am interested in people's experiences . You are the only person on the entire planet that has had your experiences so what you have to say is super important to me. Smiley Happy

I super like the examples of mindfulness that you gave. I like the smiling mind app too. And like you, I try to focus on things around me when I feel anxious while out and about. When I'm walking, I often run my hand along walls, fences, hedges etc. I'm sure it probably looks weird, but the sensation of feeling those things helps me to feel calmer inside.

I can SO relate to what you said about how it makes you feel when people suggest mindfulness to you TheVorticon. This sounds like another example of what I was saying about how the term gets tossed around far too much.

@utopia listening to the birds is one of my super favourite activities too! I am definitely hearing you when you say it is easy to be mindful when listening to the birds, but not so easy when we are super struggling. I think the trick is to practice being mindful when we are travelling ok, and then in time (maybe a lot of time!!!!) we get so good at it, that we can then do it better when we are struggling. It is interesting what you said about how you find trying to be mindful and not being able to do it, increases your distress. My understanding is that those moments are a great time to practice observing what's happening without judging it. So, for example, noticing that your mind is wandering without judging yourself as having failed because of this.

I can understand how a mindfulness group could be difficult. I find working at mindfulness on my own super helpful, but I don't have the slightest inclination to do it in a group.

Ok, well thank you again everyone for sharing. You are all being superly duperly helpful. Smiley Happy

One of the things I like to do is watch bees or ants. --- Me too @Phoenix_Rising

sitting on the front steps watching the green ants going up and down the railing and each ant would greet each other as they go pass Smiley Happy

Good morning @utopia. @TheVorticon, @Appleblossom, @Sahara

You are right @Phoenix_Rising. I need to practice the mindfulness during the good parts of the day. TThat's what I did last year and it worked then. Practice makes perfect.