Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Manda3
Casual Contributor

Struggling with intrusive thoughts

Hi all, 

I am new here and I am struggling at the moment with panic attacks and crying fits brought on by intrusive thoughts. I have a wonderful support network and have started on new anti anxiety medication that I know will make things worse before they get better but it’s just awful at the moment plus it’s giving me nausea. I would just love to hear how people have gotten through this as it all feels a bit hopeless and like this will never end at the moment. 

Thanks 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Struggling with intrusive thoughts

Hi there @Manda3 

We wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forums.

We hope that you find the forums a great place to connect with other members, share stories and ideas, and find the support and connection you deserve.

Feel free to Introduce yourself here if you haven’t already!

We look forward to seeing you around on the forums!

New medications are always tricky, is there anything that you can do right now to comfort yourself?

Hi @Friendlyflutter

Thank you. 

I’m trying everything. Challenging the thoughts, rest, talking to my partner and my family but I still get lost and feel despair at these overwhelming emotions. 

I am really sorry to hear that you are struggling so much @Manda3 

Does listening to calm music help you? or a walk?

It can act as a good distraction from the thoughts!! It is really effective for me sometimes. 

Music does help, I’ll try that and see how I go tonight.

Hi @Manda3 

It is so great that you are surrounded by a great support network and also have medical support. It's these days while you are waiting to start feeling better that are the most difficult and feel like they will never end. 

These are the days to take care of yourself, sleep if you need, cry. I think I filled the time with a lot of netflix and things to keep my mind busy. It's true that eventually you may need to face things but when you are in this state you are best to just allow yourself time to recover and breathe. 

Mindfulness things I've learned recently, are a way to help pass the time, but when I was in a heightened state, I struggle to concentrate or really enjoy anything. It's hard to feel good when it feels like life is a constant struggle and there is a constant feeling of panic or impending doom. 

Reaching out to forum's like this is a great start, and shows your strength even when you feel hopeless. You are not alone in how you feel and the only advice I tell myself during that time is that these feelings are temporary and these awful moments will pass. 

You have survived all your worst days and you are in a new phase where you get to recover and feel better. I wish you all the best on your journey forward, there are better times ahead.

Hi @Manda3 and welcome to the forums. You have taken the first step with introducing yourself and that does take courage so well done.

It is difficult to live with anxiety and panic attacks but if you just try one step at a time and put something kind into each day it does get easier.

Thinking of you and sitting with you.

Thank you so much. Things are getting better each day, my thoughts are getting clearer and less likely to make me panic which feels good. I’m using the strategy of putting my thoughts on trial also which is helping.

Thank you so much. Things are getting better each day, my thoughts are getting clearer and less likely to make me panic which feels good. I’m using the strategy of putting my thoughts on trial also which is helping

Hi @Manda3 

I have the same problem, particularly at night. I find ear buds with whatever your favourite music helps a lot. I find myself singing along instead of driving myself crazy. Hope it helps.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance